Saturday, March 1, 2014

“Her” : An Interview

Darling Rebecca Poole took a moment out of her insanely busy schedule to chat with me about her upcoming appearance in Rise of the Goddess.

You are about to debut for the first time. Fresh meat! How do you feel?  
To be perfectly honest, I’m terrified and excited.  I’m unsure of what to expect.  You never know what people are going to think of your work when you let it fly free. 
Your short story “Her” will be published on March 20 by Crushing Heart Black Butterfly Publishing. What can you tell us about the anthology and your story’s place in it? 
The anthology is called Rise of the Goddess.  The theme is to pick a goddess or create one of our very own, but she needs to be strong and empowered, not a weak willed ninny. 
I created my own goddess for this anthology and I hope that readers find her interesting.
“Her” focuses on one man’s devotion. What was your inspiration for “Her”?
I was inspired by an image, actually: a winged woman metamorphosing from an empty husk.  I wanted to write about who she was and how she came to existence.

You also work as a badass cover designer. What made you want to switch hats and get inside of a book for a change?
I love reading.  I find books magical places and I wanted to try to create magic myself with my words. 
Do you often draw your inspiration from images? As a visual artist that would make sense.
I draw inspiration from everything.  I’m a very visual person and sometimes I get very distracted with all of the pretty imagery surrounding us. 
When you write, do you have a process that helps get you “in the mood”?
I do, actually.  I make a playlist of songs that will set the mood for the particular piece I want to work on.  I also need caffeine of some sort, preferably green tea.
What are you working on now? And what can we expect to see from you in the future? 
I’m actually working on several ideas-one is a paranormal romance, another steampunk erotica, and a romantic comedy.  I suppose I would get more written if I actually focused on one work at a time.  I’m hoping to be involved in a few more anthologies.  I love being a part of a group of authors writing about the same idea.  It’s so interesting to see the different ideas that come to fruition. 

OK, now for a few non-work-related questions:

If the world was burning and you could save but one book, which would it be?
That’s so HARD to answer.  Oh man…that’s like asking me to pick my favourite cat.  Weaveworld by Clive Barker.  It’s the one book I’ve had to replace a few times because of circumstances and it’s my favourite book from my childhood.
What’s your go to snack food?  
Cheetos
If you could have any (but only one) super power, what would you choose?
Super speed.  Maybe then I’d be able to get everything done.  J
If you could pick the brain of any famous person anywhere across time and space, who would it be and why?  
HP Lovecraft.  His stories are so WEIRD and I really have so many questions to ask him about where his ideas came from. 

If you could have live in any from any of the fictional universes, which would it be and why? 
Dragonlance.  I grew up with Dungeons and Dragons, and that was my first series I’d ever really gotten into that was strictly fantasy.  And my favourite character is from there.  Raistlin Majere.
What is your favorite word?
Dude—I have another favourite word but it’s not really acceptable to say.  ;)
What is your least favorite word?
No
If Dante’s Nine Circles of Hell existed, which circle would you be trapped in and why?
Limbo-from my understanding, it’s the circle that’s the least torturous.  I’m sensitive…I don’t want to spend eternity suffering.



Rebecca Poole runs Dreams2Media, a full-service site for authors in need of graphic design, books covers, trailers, and more. Be sure to check out the debut of  "Her" in Rise of the Goddess, available March 20.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent look inside the mind of an up and coming author (and kick-ass designer) - great interview ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But Rebecca gets the credit for making awesome look so easy ;)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic questions! Rebecca is a superb artist, a talented writer, and more importantly, a generous loving soul. I'm delighted to see her break into print, thrilled that she's done the cover for a soon-to-be-released book of mine, and grateful beyond measure to count her as friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for having me! It was so much fun to do the interview (my first EVER about something I've written.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure was all mine :) Looking forward to the release! :)

      Delete
  4. terrific interview and a lovely way to find out more about my fellow Goddess creator. :)

    ReplyDelete