Monday, March 31, 2014

Interview & a #Free #Book: Angela Roquet

Here with us today is the fabulous Angela Roquet, author of the sassy and spectacular Lana Harvey series and Crazy Ex-Ghoulfriend. And the best thing about this interview, is that you can get her book, Graveyard Shift, absolutely free!(Information at the bottom).

Interview
For those who aren’t familiar with you or your work, give us a brief synopsis.
Me: I’m a writer by night, graphic designer by day, and mother 24/7. I like comic books, owls, craft supplies, painting, and weird out-of-print books. I’m also a big fan of equality, tolerance, and renewable energy.
My work: My Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc. series is set in Limbo City, the capital of the modern and eclectic afterlife. Lana is a reaper, employed by Grim, at Reapers Inc. She starts out as an underpaid peon who would rather be drinking at Purgatory Lounge (with her bff, the archangel Gabriel) than harvesting souls. But when a group of rebels rise up to threaten peace in the afterlife, Lana learns some very disturbing things about her past, and quickly finds herself in the middle of a conflict that could bring on the Second War of Eternity.

Graveyard Shift is a fascinating world, drawing intensely from world mythology and religion. Tell us how you came by this idea and what influences led to the creation of Limbo City and Eternity.
Most of my grade school years were spent at a private Christian school, so when I was inserted into public school, you can imagine my surprise when I found out there were other religions in the world. I spent quite a few years studying on my own, and then I took a world religions course in college that I found entirely unsatisfying. I spent more years studying on my own, and eventually, the idea of an afterlife where all the deities, heavens, and hells existed together was born in my mind. I was also fascinated by all the ancient visions of these afterlives, and I wondered what they might look like in modern time.
Do you often draw your inspiration from other books or a different mediums altogether (movies, anime, etc.)?
I’ve read a lot of books on different religions, so I definitely found inspiration there. It wasn’t until after Graveyard Shift was published that fans started reaching out and suggesting parallel books (Amber Benson’s Reaper-Jones series, Darynda Jones Charley Davidson series) movies (Wrist Cutters, R.I.P.D.), and TV shows (Dead Like Me, Reaper). I really enjoy stories, in any medium, that explore the afterlife in such creative ways. 

How many books do you foresee the Lana series entailing? And do you already know how it will end?
I started out really ambitious and outlined 12 novels for the series… though I might shorten that list and merge a few of the storylines together. I do know how it will all end, more or less. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. lol
If your book was cast, who would play each role and why? 
Oh, it would definitely be exciting to see Lana and company on the big screen! I’d never get to pick the cast, but if I could, I have some actors that play along in my head movies:
Lana is a toss-up. If Christina Ricci and Ellen Page could just merge into some kind of sexy Voltron … either one of them would be fantastic! I always picture Gabriel as Owen Wilson, but Tyler Sean Labine would be fun too. Jason Momoa as Maalik, Winona Ryder as Josie Gale, Lucy Liu as Jenni Fang, and Cillian Murphy as Kevin Kraus. Jared Leto as Beelzebub, and Ray Wise as Grim. There are a lot of characters in the series, but I’d say these are the major players, and who I most often fantasize about playing them. Obviously, these actors all fit the physical profiles of my characters, but they’ve also played quite a few roles that fit my characters’ personalities too.   
When you write, do you have a process that helps get you “in the mood”?
I have a toddler, so I don’t often have the time to get “in the mood”. Lol When my kiddo goes to the bed, I do have a little routine for my night writing session. I fix a cup of green tea (or a glass of wine, if it’s been a really rough day), light some incense, put on something easy to listen to (Iron & Wine, Damien Rice, Greg Laswell), and take it from there.
What are you working on now? And what can we expect to see from you in the future?
I feel like a juggling circus clown right now. lol  I’m working on more titles in my Lana series, and I have outlines for a couple other series (one YA and one adult paranormal), as well as a few standalones and short stories. Ideally, I’d like to get to the point where I can produce four to five books a year, but that might not happen until my kiddo starts kindergarten.




Urban Fantasy Author Angela Roquet lives in Sedalia, MO with her husband and son. When she's not swearing at the keyboard, she enjoys painting, goofing off her family and friends and reading books that raise eyebrows. Her book Graveyard Shift is available for free at Amazon and Smashwords. Visit her at her website or on Twitter.

1 comment: