Friday, May 23, 2014

Writing As A Force of Good & #FreebieFriday

I’m giving away 20 free e-copies of “Blind”. Keep reading to find out how/why I would be so cray.

I’m one of those bleeding heart do-good types. So there is no surprise to those who know me that I would write a short story and then donate the royalties from that project to a charity that supports young artists.

Sure I could just give money directlto charity (and often do), but the great thing about writing a story AND donating is that I have a chance to humanize the issue and generate awareness.

Some people might argue that there are better causes: the whales, child abuse, poverty, cancer and so on.

I don’t know about you but creativity and writing saved my life. Coming from a really dark background/childhood, my creativity and imagination provided me with the hope that a better world, or a better life existed than the one I’d been given. And if that creativity had been squashed rather than fostered, I don’t know that I would have survived my environment. So I believe this cause is important and feel so grateful that I've come far enough to be a position to support it.

I chose The Dreaming Zebra Foundation as the recipient of the royalties from “Blind”, and you can learn more about TDZF here and here.

So, now for the good stuff! In order to get your free copy of “Blind” gifted to you, you need only do the following:

Post a comment in the section below, answering the following question: If you had an art-related superpower, what would it be?

I would want to have power over paper, so I could make anything out of it. ANYTHING, be it huge buildings, shields, flying machines, etc. You name it. I would just need a sheet of paper. And really, when I think about it, I may already have this power.  ;)


Now it's your turn. First 20 comment-ers (err, commentators?) win. 

21 comments:

  1. The power of Color...to add color make as tree even more beautiful ..the sea more blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would make the world a beautiful place! That would be an awesome gift :)

      Delete
  2. The power of painting the future has been done (yay Heros!) I think it would be amazing to sketch or paint as fast as a camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be pretty cool--especially if it looked as good as a photograph and not just like someone scribbled on the page for half a second ;)

      Delete
  3. the power of life and death of course

    ReplyDelete
  4. the power of mind-control - like sirens

    ReplyDelete
  5. the power of age - cause some art pieces make you grow up (medidative artpieces such as the Wesendonck lieder), while some others make you younger (such Beyonce's songs ahah)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. Yes. That could be a lot of fun :)

      Delete
  6. It would be that I could savour a memory by painting it so as to immortalise those within it, the painting would be like the moving pictures in Harry Potter, but only I could see their magic as I created them. I could hop in and out of them any time I liked, and would never have to say goodbye, or forget those heart warming moments that make life worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hopping in and out and reliving it would be fantastic! It would be so much better than the way that a normal photograph immortalizes a moment! :D

      Delete
  7. The ability to paint in detail the the macro and micro beauty of a flower, being able to capture not just what makes it beautiful to the eye's but to nature as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The power of music, writing, singing, dancing, Everyone out there will say that "this song saved my life" and that's what I would do, write and sing to heal peoples hearts, minds and souls. Music would be a life source. I help people for a living so it would only be natural

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica: You won a copy of "Blind" for being one of the first 20 commenters. Please email me at kory.m.shrum@gmail.com and let me know what email you want me to send the gift to. Thanks for playing! Kory

      Delete
  9. The power of mind-painting I guess. So if you come across a wall somewhere or you find a fitting space on the floor, you could just think of a painting, a scene and you could watch as it starts to paint itself, looking just like you imagined it. I believe that it would not just be fun, but that it would make every city so much brighter and colorful. So it would also make people happier (maybe?). Yeah, I'd really like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people are trying to use their powers for good. And I'm over here being so amoral! LOL. But this gift would be beautiful and no doubt make people happy :)

      Delete
  10. The paper related super power is pretty awesome, but I'm gonna have to go with the power of pottery, because if I had that power I think I could manipulate mud and soil to do my bidding. I could construct walls, stairs, weapons, shields, cages, etc. for whatever purpose I deemed necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. You like living by the sea and singing then? ;)

      Delete