Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Click #Submit-- Getting Your Work in Print the Traditional Way

Sometimes people ask me where I submit my work. This answer varies depending upon the genre (poetry or SFF prose, in my case). I’ve heard some people use submission managers (like Duotrope) with varying degrees of success, but I prefer to save $ where I can, so I use good ‘ol-fashioned Google and an Excel spreadsheet to keep myself organized. Why an Excel spreadsheet? Because for any kind of effectiveness you need to submit your work--A LOT.

For your convenience, here are suggestions for both poetry and prose submissions:

Poetry
Back in the day, you had to print your poems, stuff them into an envelope (don’t forget the SASE!) and send them off into the world, hoping they reached the right person. Nowadays, online submission managers are much more common, easier to use and free! Which is good for those of us who don’t have the money to buy $1000 worth of postage in exchange for a CV byline and two complimentary copies of the issue within which we’ll be featured. So here is a working list of magazines that accept (free) online submissions. (CLICK HERE)


Fiction
If you’re into literary fiction, a lot of the journals listed in the above link also have fiction submissions. If however, like me, you write SFF or mainstream fiction, you may want to consider this list of top journals/magazines. (CLICK HERE)

Tips:
Regardless of what you like to submit and to whom, remember the following:
1)    Guidelines are important. Remember that these folks get THOUSANDS of submissions and need a way to whittle that pile down to a more manageable size. They do that by crossing out the fools who can’t read directions. Don’t be that fool.
2)    Respect requirements. Some journals/mags require exclusive consideration of a poem/story. This means that you can’t submit the same poems/stories to multiple places at the same time. If that is the case, give priority to your top choices for publication, but respect the rules. Don't lie and send it anyway around anyway. It's shady and makes you look unprofessional.
3)    Be patient. Not only is rejection the norm, but so are long wait times. Your best bet is to keep writing instead of twiddling your thumbs and waiting to hear back. Finish something, send it out, and get to work on the next something. It’s the only way.

Wishing you all the luck!

Kory

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. All the best with your writing. Check out my blog..I have challenged myself to do 90 blog posts in 90 days.

    ReplyDelete