Friday, September 19, 2014

#Audible: Why Aren't You Using It? #amwriting

So my best kept secret this summer was that I produced an audiobook. I made a to fans shortly after releasing Dying for a Living in March, that I would expand distribution as soon as possible. I can now proudly say that my book is available on Audible, and you sign up for the free trial, you can listen to it for free! :)

Have I ever led you astray, baby?


I was excited to use Smashwords and get my book out to Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iBooks, and other eReader users--but I was most excited about the audiobook. I know not everyone likes audiobooks, but I do. I like hearing a story read to me like when I was a kid. It's a pleasant distraction in the car during long drives, or on my bike on the way to work.

So when I found out that I could produce an audiobook for FREE--I didn't hesitate to get on that *&^%. 

If you want to fork over the cash and pay someone on contract immediately, you can do that too. But I went with the royalty share, splitting the royalties down the middle with the narrator. I was more than OK with this. I know that an audiobook is only half my creation and half what the narrator's own voice lends to the book--so I opted for the royalty share (read: FREE; nothing upfront needed).

ACX allows you to hold "auditions" and choose the narrator that you like best. Also, you get to preview/approve the chapters as the narrator submits them, so it is a very hands on process--which I felt good about. I liked thinking I was involved in the project as well as making sure everything went well.


Lastly, when it is all finished and you've given approval, the book is published about 10-14 days later--and AUTOMATICALLY synced to your Amazon listing of the book, which was REALLY convenient.


Anyway, I give the whole process 4.5 out of 5 stars (-1/2 star because setting up the account and project page requires patience) and recommend it to any of you authors out there looking to expand the story experience for your readers. Hollie and I are already scheduled to start producing Dying by the Hour around Thanksgiving, and I'm psyched for that too.

If you have questions, or want tips about producing an audiobook with ACX, or if you've already used ACX and want to share your story/tips with me, please leave your comments below.

Have a great weekend everyone! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad this worked out great for you and to hear that they make it so easy. As a huge fan of audiobooks and of self published and indie authors, it is great to know that they have an easy way to get me books in the format I prefer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an excellent point, Melanie. Many people do prefer audiobooks, and since it can cost very little to produce them, it is important for more self-pub/indie writers to take advantage of this opportunity! :)

    ReplyDelete