Friday, October 10, 2014

Monster Mash: Kory's Top Monster/Horror Picks


This is my favorite time of year. Since I could appreciate stories, I’ve always loved a good scary tale. I read all the Goosebumps, Fear Street, and admittedly less age appropriate renditions of all that goes bump in the night. Campfire stories, ghost stories, monsters under the bed-- to this day, I can’t get enough. So here are some of my favorite tales of the macabre in celebration of my favorite month:

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson



Starting old school. Classic Haunted House and the (I’m betting) inspiration for…



The Shining by Stephen King


King acknowledges his love for The Haunting of Hill House and we can see the influence here. And a house (or hotel) that wants to kill you? Anyone who pays an electric bill in the winter can relate.

Dracula by Bram Stoker



The original blood-sucking non-sparkly king of the night. I’m pretty sure he’d try to recruit me for his harem. Other than that, what’s not to love?  (Oh, oh. And are you guys going to go see this new Dracula movie?)



H.P. Lovecraft


The master of madness himself needs no introduction.


Edgar Allan Poe



If he’d been born this millennium, we’d call him emo. But lucky for him, being born in the 1800s and having that hair, actually came together all right for him. Most of the time.

I am Legend


Forget the movie with Will Smith. Be sure you read this. It's a stellar piece of writing.



Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill



This was a recent discovery. I like King so I thought I’d give his son a try and see if the apple really does fall right under the tree. I was pleasantly surprised. This was a good ghost story with a modern twist. I listened to it on audiobook, and I think that always helps to bring the story alive even more.


The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice



Because this is how I like my vampires



Nancy A. Collin’s Sunglasses After Dark




Probably my favorite horror books of all time. I love Sonja Blue unlike I love any other vampire. Sorry, Lestat.


Anita Blake, Necromancer and Vampire Hunter Books 1-10


From Guilty Pleasures to Narcissicus in Chains, we see it all: succubi/incubi, werewolves, vampires, zombies, ghouls, necromancers, shifters--and all kinds of monster goodness.


Now tell me your favorite horror/monster reads. And check back in a few days for my fav horror/monster movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment