Thursday, November 20, 2014

How to Get Writing Done Despite the Hellishly Busy Holiday Season #amwriting

Nathaniel Hawthorne once complained (according to my crazy-haired unkempt professor in college that is), that he could never write in summer. He could only sit down and get the work done once winter rolled around and he was cold, sad, and trapped in his house for months on end.


And I must admit, as winter rolls into Michigan early, I really can feel the calming affects of the landscape.






So don't be afraid to curl up with your laptop under some blankets, hot drink in hand, and get the work done. The real danger of course is the holidays, right? All the shopping must be done and ALL the family gets together to eat excessively like the Old Country Buffet on 32x fast forward--good times! (?)  


And with all that going on it can be hard to carve out that time for yourself to get your writing done. (Don't lie. NANOWRIMO ends in 10 days and then you won't write again until Jan 1, when you make a resolution to "write more" purely out of guilt. I should know!)

Instead, maybe try to be consistent instead. Stephen King says he writes 2000 words a day everyday. Even on his birthday. But unfortunately, many loved ones simply don't understand your compulsion to write. So here are some ideas for carving out time to write this holiday season:

1) Go to the bathroom--for a really long time. We eat some weird &^$% during the holiday. It will seem totally normal if you go to the bathroom and lock the door for hours. And it might be the only way to get family members and children to get off your back.

2) Get sick.
'Tis the season to get sick. Why not lie and say you are so that you have an excuse to stay in bed all day--with your computer of course! And when someone comes to check on you just 1) pretend to be asleep 2) start coughing uncontrollably 3) get all pathetic and weepy or 4) all of the above.

3) Ride the tryptophan wave.
If sometimes you confuse your loved ones with walking garbage disposals, use that to your advantage! After all, it goes in cycles--eat ALL THE THINGS--naps all around--EAT ALL THE THINGS--etc. So your goal should simply be to get on a slightly different schedule. Pick at your food and pretend to have an upset stomach if you must (see Tip #1)...and once everyone falls asleep write like mad! And when they wake up, eat like crazy and nap yourself. Anyone with infants should understand this kind of timing.

Anyway, I'm wishing everyone a super productive holiday season. Also, if you haven't entered my audiobook giveaway yet, there is still time! Get the goods here!

7 comments:

  1. Ha! Love this, Kory. I was just thinking about how to find time to write as the holidays come rocketing toward me. My solution was to book rooms at a cheap hotel both before Christmas and in early January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great suggestions. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you both enjoyed the post! I always write to please ;) And if either of you have great ideas for me, I'd love to hear them! (I'll keep the hotel idea in mind ;)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant, I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I appreciate you saying so :)

      Delete
  5. I am the ultimate "I give up" in December. Which is one reason I work so hard at Nano - I know the whole next month is a wash - between shopping, appeasing family by showing up at parties, and that #%^$%$$ thing they call SCHOOL BREAK - December is never productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It's a super busy month! :/

      Delete