Monday, February 23, 2015

#Mondayblogs: A Short, Funny Story About Acceptance

Ever since I got home from my reading last week, it's been rough! I was having vision problems, which turned out to be migraine problems and found myself bedridden after an MRI for a couple of days. After the pain meds wore off and I began to feel better, I did what any sensible person would do after being confined to her bed for hours and hours on end...

I cleaned the whole house. 


There is something about coming off an illness that always sends me into cleaning mode. But this particular time was even more fervid than usual. 

I blame it on the fact that while laying/lying sick in bed I was reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. In this book, as the title suggests, there is a big theme of "purge purge purge"! --which I was just in the right mood for!

Granted this author seems more "serious" about tidying than I am. She says my socks have feelings and don't like to be balled up like potato lumps...but that's probably a story for another time.

So I spend a day and a half gathering up a considerable chunk of my belongings and bagging them up for donation. I haul them across town and drop them off at the donation center where the lady attendant thanks me for "allowing us to work to improve lives" or something.

Then I return home to admire my clean and clear house...

....to find that the pug has taken a huge piss in the living room floor.



Moral of the story: Things cannot be perfect. No amount of labor or fretting will make it so. Because shit (or piss) literally happens, every day.

Every.
Day.




2 comments:

  1. LOL, there's nothing like a dog to bring things back to earth. Glad you are feeling better, and big kudos for the day and a half decluttering purge. It must have felt good. I'll have to check out the book, but I'm afraid it would take me a year and a half to declutter this house!

    ReplyDelete