Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Doing All The Things

Apart from the lovely poems I've been posting, I know I haven't posted much in the way of content lately. I must admit that in the insanity of:

-finding a house in just 10 days
-closing on a house
-packing
-painting/preparing new house
-moving all the stuff
-wrapping up production on the audiobook of Dying for Her
-Preparing publication of Dying Light, the fourth book in the Jesse sullivan series
-the fall semester is starting, which is always crazy for a teacher/student like myself
-reading/reviewing books for several writer friends


I'm a little busy over here! But I am not complaining. I like staying busy and to be honest, if I was offered one more class to teach I'd say "I'll take it."

So I'm reaching out to ask you guys what your best organizational strategies are? How do you manage your time and make the most of your days when demand is high?

Just looking for tips! :)

Kory





2 comments:

  1. I find a two-part approach works best for me.

    Sometime after I finish my formal work day I reflect informally on how I've done with the tasks I had to do. If I have to do formal reflections on classes, that's a different, although similar, process. This is more about what went well and got done but it's also about what didn't get done and why. Was it really a case of not enough time, and if so why? (Bad planning, something else came up, something else?) Someone didn't give me what I needed (have I checked when it will be ready so I can I plan it in at the proper time?). Or was I procrastinating? (If so, how and why? How, to try and stop myself doing it that way again, why so I can try and work out why I don't want to do this - I've got to do it sometime after all.) I used to do this while walking home (but it's not safe while if you drive) but now I usually do it while cooking tea or something low-key like that.

    Some time later (usually after eating tea) I sit down and think about what I've got to do tomorrow. Depending on the situation that thinking might result in a detailed list with start and end times and so on, or some kind of ordered list (by priority, by location or whatever suits the day) or just a mental outline of the day. It sounds like your days are closer to the former than the latter but whatever works for you.

    I like doing this the night before and the peaceful evening that comes (even if I work after it) knowing I've thought about tomorrow and planned it somewhat. I know other people who consider it better to spend time first thing in the morning doing the same thing. I prefer the extra 10 minutes in bed personally!

    Good luck with the hectic times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a thorough and detailed response! You've certainly given me a lot to think about. Thank you! :)

      Kory

      Delete