Saturday, October 10, 2015

#October AtoZ #Blog challenge: G is for Ghosts

Ghosts freak me the &^$% out. I watched Sixth Sense and many people argue it's not even a great ghost story, but I couldn't sleep for days. 



But since they are an ooky spooky part of Halloween, I've included a post to honor the ghosts out there. Here are my top 5 "ghost" picks by category:



Top 5 Ghost Books
The Shining by Stephen King
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
A Woman in Black by Susan Hill
A Christmas Carol by Dickens


Top 5 Ghost Movies
Ghostbusters
Poltergeist
Thirteen Ghosts
Nightmare Before Christmas
Casper



Top 5 Haunted Places

The Stanley Hotel
West Virginia State Penitentiary
Waverly Hills Sanitorium
Alcatraz Prison
New Orleans!...

...which brings me to my very own ghost story. I haven't told many people this story, so sharing it here on the blog is sort of like "coming out" in a way. But here is my ghost story nonetheless. A few years ago, I went to New Orleans with some friends. We did the ghost tour, like many tourists do and saw the numerous haunted places around the French Quarter.

Near the end of our tour, we stopped in a bar for a bathroom break, but the tour guide warned us "be careful of the bathroom. The original owner used to live upstairs until one night he was clubbed in the head with a crowbar and died. Now he hides out in the ladies' bathroom and pinches all the pretty girls."

I wasn't impressed. But my attractiveness aside, I did go into the bathroom and I SWEAR ON MY PARTNER'S LIFE that I DID feel a pinch just before I was about to sit down and use the toilet. If I hadn't been struggling with my belt, I may not have noticed, but I was. And I felt the pinch on my right side and turned slowly, expecting to find a glory hole or something, where some partner in crime pinches people for added effect.

When I saw NO ONE, I burst from the bathroom stall, holding my pants up and shrieking, much to the confusion of my friends who were waiting in the bathroom for me.

Needless to say, I did not pee alone for the rest of the trip.



Do you have a favorite ghost story, movie or haunted place? I'd love to know it! :)

Kory

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good ghost story. Yours made me smile.
    I based my own ghost story ('Unworkers') on a house in which I used to live and some of the stories I heard there - though I confess I did embellish some of them. I wish I'd known yours then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel silly in hindsight, of course, wondering whether or not I just worked myself up. But I swear the pinch was so real I thought I'd see the peep hole! :)

      Delete
  3. My dad passed away in 2007. All winter it seemed that logs rolled out of our fireplace. I told my mom who was living in another province. Shortly after she called to tell me a log rolled out at home. Since then it barely ever happens. Our downstairs toilet also runs every once in awhile. I suspect t it's a leaking valve, but I like to think it's my dad weird way of telling me he's around.

    ReplyDelete