Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Power of Letting Go #ThePowerProject #2016 #selfhelp

Though I decided to deviate from Gretchen Rubin’s Happiness Project, there were still concepts that I found helpful to my Power Project. One way she organized her research and self-study was by month—introducing one focus/concept per month and developing her resolutions accordingly.

Being the magpie that I am, I made January my month to explore The Power of Letting Go.

This month's mascot!
Let it go! Let it go!

I’ve heard plenty ‘a guru pontificate on the power of letting go, but I’ve always resisted it. It seemed too passive of an approach. I’m trying to learn how to be powerful here! Not lay on my back and take it! But then I thought of some of the amazing people from history who enacted power through passive actions. Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks come to mind. And the actions of these amazing women provide me with enough belief that power—true, transformative, world-changing power—can come from a place of seeming passivity. So, long story short, at last I am embracing this idea of letting go.

Letting go is related to the Buddhist concept of non-attachment. It’s not clinging to negative emotions. Not feeding your anger. Not going over grievances again and again in your mind. Not worrying about things that coulda, woulda, mighta happen. Or complaining.

So I chose a few resolutions for the month of January that I think will help me explore The Power of Letting Go.

·          Don’t complain
·          Forgive
·          Get rid of something
·          Appreciate myself

I can tell you that after a week of going at this, “Don’t complain” has been the absolutely toughest resolution so far. Who knew I was so disgruntled?! I will write a post about complaining later. This post is simply about January in general and some posts you can expect in the coming weeks, all in the vein of “letting go”.

Forthcoming posts:

The Power of Not Complaining
The Power of Forgiveness
The Power of Getting Rid of Your Shit (De-cluttering Physical/Mental Space)
The Power of Doing it Now
The Power of Appreciating Yourself and Your Progress
Letting Go of Thoughts
Letting Go of Stories and Self-Limiting Beliefs
Letting Go of the Need to Speak
Letting Go of Worry and Fear
Letting Go of the Need to Be Right
Letting Go of Judgment
Letting Go of the Need to Control

Do you struggle with any of these? Any resolutions of your own? Let me know! J

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to how you got from the feeling that letting go is essentially passive (and I'm not knocking the power of passive resistance at all) to such an active and positive set of resolutions for letting go?

    And, on a very different tack, one you might well choose not to answer publicly, have you explored what happens in the bedroom if you let go and let Kim have her wicked way with you? (Or vice versa, but that's a differently themed post I think.) This might, of course, not work for the two of you and that's absolutely fine but if it does (either way around) it can do wonders for how you feel about yourself (good for appreciating yourself) and actually giving up control to someone you love and trust and the pleasure and peace it can bring (if it works for you), or the pleasure from having someone give you control and the power that goes with it (I'm told) can both be incredibly empowering both internally and externally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! I'm, personally, more interested in power dynamics that focus on struggling with the self and also larger groups--politics and social order for example. thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I'd politely suggest that power play in the bedroom actually gives you a tool to explore aspects of power struggle with yourself, although not at first admittedly. You'd be surprised the odd bits of your psyche that can trip over in there.

    And for some the struggle to let go and trust another, or to cope with the trust another places in them can be quite interesting in and of itself.

    However, it is tied up with a load of other things that have to be right for the couple too. Good luck with the rest of the quest, I'll keep on reading with interest.

    ReplyDelete