Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Power of Listening, A TedTalk Playlist #BeTheChange

For those of you who want to begin your quest into the world of listening, here is a fun playlist:

Listen Up 9 Talks to Help You Be a Better Listener

It's hosted by Ted and it's very good.


If you don't just have hours to sit around watching videos today, I suggest that you just watch the first one. It's already got me thinking a great deal about listening, as a biological function and also as a powerful tool.

For example, consultant Julian Treasure mentions our "filters":

Culture
Language
Values
Beliefs
Attitudes
Expectations
Intentions 


all of which guide and govern our perception of what we hear. He goes on to say profound things about how listening shapes our reality and dictates our experience with the flow of time.

By the time he mentions how the importance of good listening has declined through the ages, I'm already thinking about Homer and oral storytelling--which is a way to say this is very stimulating talk and I think you'll enjoy it a great deal.


Thank you for listening to me today!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Kory! I love Ted talks and have been fascinated with the power of listening since I read a book about it (The Lost Art of Listening, I think). I'm on to my quest to be a better listener! :-)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've found the post helpful! :) I've seen The Lost Art of Listening come up in my research. Do you recommend it?

      Delete