Monday, March 14, 2016

#Mondayblogs: Baby steps #motivation #inspiration #BetheChange

What is a “small step”?

Since this month’s challenge is all about small steps, I thought it would be a good idea
to define exactly what a “small step” is. After all, I highly suspect that small steps are relative.

What is a small step for me, might not be a small step for you and vice versa.

So here is my proposed definition:

An act that does not discourage or intimidate.


Now, this is just a fancy way of saying that when I’m about to do a small task, I’m not inclined to think “Oh god, I can’t even! That’s too much! It’ll take forever! Maybe I’ll come back to this after a nap and bar of chocolate…” Blah blah.

And again this varies. For example, you might be a great runner (I am not). A small step for you might be “I’ll just run 2 miles today” and this will seem like a small step if you are used to running 6-8 miles in one go. For me, healing from my ankle injury, I’d have to break it down even more.

Small step 1: Locate running shoes. Just find them! Don’t commit to anything else…
2: Found them! Can I put them on?
3: I’ve got them on! Maybe I’ll just step outside and see how it feels.
4: Oh, this is nice. Maybe I’ll just walk around the block.
5: Turn on some “pump up and jam” music.
6: Oh this is exciting! Let’s pick up the pace. I’ll jog the rest of this block!
7: I love this song! I’ll just go farther down the street…

And so on. You get the point.

The important thing to remember is that a “step” should be a task small enough that is
doesn’t discourage you. This is essential because starting is the hardest part.

It really is.


More on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment