Wednesday, October 26, 2016

October Love: Ghosts

Ghosts freak me the &^$% out. I watched Sixth Sense and many people argue it's not even a great ghost story, but I couldn't sleep for days. 




But since they are an ooky spooky part of Halloween, I've included a post to honor the ghosts out there. Here are my top 5 "ghost" picks by category:


Top 5 Ghost Books
The Shining by Stephen King
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
A Woman in Black by Susan Hill
A Christmas Carol by Dickens

Top 5 Ghost Movies
Ghostbusters
Poltergeist
Thirteen Ghosts
Nightmare Before Christmas
Casper


Top 5 Haunted Places
The Stanley Hotel
West Virginia State Penitentiary
Waverly Hills Sanitorium
Alcatraz Prison
New Orleans!...

...which brings me to my very own ghost story. I haven't told many people this story, so sharing it here on the blog is sort of like "coming out" in a way. But here is my ghost story nonetheless. A few years ago, I went to New Orleans with some friends. We did the ghost tour, like many tourists do and saw the numerous haunted places around the French Quarter.

Near the end of our tour, we stopped in a bar for a bathroom break, but the tour guide warned us "be careful of the bathroom. The original owner used to live upstairs until one night he was clubbed in the head with a crowbar and died. Now he hides out in the ladies' bathroom and pinches all the pretty girls."

I wasn't impressed. But my attractiveness aside, I did go into the bathroom and I SWEAR ON MY PARTNER'S LIFE that I DID feel a pinch just before I was about to sit down and use the toilet. If I hadn't been struggling with my belt, I may not have noticed, but I was. And I felt the pinch on my right side and turned slowly, expecting to find a glory hole or something, where some partner in crime pinches people for added effect.

When I saw NO ONE, I burst from the bathroom stall, holding my pants up and shrieking, much to the confusion of my friends who were waiting in the bathroom for me.

Needless to say, I did not pee alone for the rest of the trip.


Do you have a favorite ghost story, movie or haunted place? I'd love to know it! :)

Kory

4 comments:

  1. I try not to think about ghosts spying on us when we're in private moments. I've got far too many tell but the only one that ever truly scared me was a few years back. I was living in a house built on land in an area of Virginia where the union army had a very large encampment during the Civil War. I was used to strange sounds in the middle of the night (sometimes in the daytime too). Sounds such as shrill whistles, dings like metal on metal, and a sound that I found out was like a rifle being cocked, but then there was the night I was in bed, light on, and reading a book. The door to the bedroom was closed and the dog was sleeping in the living area just outside. Suddenly, the entire door shuddered inside the frame. It made me jump but then I just figured it was the dog settling in against it. I went back to reading. A moment later, the door shook again and this time I noticed that the doorknob was moving back and forth as if someone were trying to open the door. It wasn't locked and never stuck so my heart leaped into my throat and might even have stopped for a moment. Once the door quieted, I sat there, upright, not breathing, waiting for it to happen again. When it didn't, I got out of bed and slowly approached it...I will admit, I was terrified to open it for fear of what might be on the other side. I grabbed the knob, threw the door open, and there was nothing there. I looked to the dog who was lying nearby and looking at me funny. I hurried to my then husband and asked if we'd just had another earthquake. He said no. I told him what happened and he told me I must have dozed off and imagined it. I knew I hadn't. I went back to bed but left the door open. The next morning, I tried an experiment with the door. I closed it and pushed on it from the outside. The door didn't move. I tried jiggling it every which way but nothing. Then I grabbed the doorknob and tried to get through the door without turning it...the door shuddered in the frame just as it had the night before. Someone...or something...had been trying to get through the door. Never has any ghostly experience of mine every terrified me like that one did.
    Happy Halloween, may you only encounter friendly spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing story! And no offense, but better you than me! 😉

      Thanks for sharing!

      Kory

      Delete
  2. I love ghost stories, movies, etc
    My hubby gets freaked out by them ... all of them ... he didn't even like The Ghost Whisperer on tv ... lol
    Admitedly he watched ghostbusters and disney's a haunted mansion so he can't be THAT freaked out ... lol

    I usually indulge in ghosty movies with my daughter ... thirteen ghosts was our favorite to watch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband sounds like my wife! I love scary stuff and she just isn't having it, lol. :)

      Delete