Wednesday, October 19, 2016

October Love: Witches

So I got married last Friday and for that reason, I haven't been able to splatter your internet space with my incessant I LOVE OCTOBER I LOVE FALL posts. But I've still got a couple weeks left so watch me squeeze some in!

I'm going to start with...you guessed it! Witches!


Witches.

The ultimate badasses. They are usually women who aren't afraid to take charge and get it done. They are strong, capable and have fancy powers to boot.


Here are my favorite witches from TV/books in no particular order:




Hermione, Minerva McGonagall, and all the lovely ladies from Hogwarts (except Dolores Umbridge)

Rowling did an amazing job crafting dynamic and powerful ladies. There is plenty to love about the witches of Hogwarts, but my favorite is their resourcefulness, their wit, and the fact they aren't portrayed as subservient to male wizards. The only witch I hate of course is Umbridge. F*&^ Umbridge.





Maharet and Mekare
Maharet and Mekare are like skorts--are they pants or are they skirts. Or sporks--spoons or forks? Or tomatoes--fruit or vegetable? In this case, vampires or witches?

If you are a purist who read the books and was appalled by the movie, you'd know that Maharet and Mekare were actually witches long before they were turned into vampires. And their harrowing tale, including Maharet's loss of her eyes and Mekare's loss of her tongue, is one of the best written tales I've ever come across.




Serafina Pekkala
You'd have to be familiar with Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy in order to recognize this name. But if you do, you'll remember the amazing and complex woman that she was and the important part she played in Lyra's adventure.






Charlize Theron in Snow White and the Huntsman
Say what you want about Stewart and her twitchiness, but Charlize was AMAZING (as always) in this movie. Her emotional depth, the complexity of her history and her powers make her one of my favorite witches of all time.




Those *^$^$ from The Craft

Okay, what 14-16 year old girl wouldn't have suffered two periods a month for the chance to be one of these ladies. They were the epitamy of cool. 





The Halliwells (Charmed)
The power of 3! Who didn't want to wake up one day and find out that they could move things with their minds or freeze time or...okay, no I didn't want the preminision crap, but the active powers were cool. As well as that amazing book and the opportunity to be raised by Grams--who seemed like an amazing witch herself.




Willow Rosenberg (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
What's more adorable than a nerdy, lesbian who plays sidekick to the slayer? A nerdy, lesbian witch. I loved Willow throughout the entire show with all of her various love interests and storylines.




The Sanderson Sisters (Hocus Pocus)
As seasonal favorite that I must watch every year, Hocus Pocus and its leading ladies never get old. The humor, the wit, Winifred's palpable irritation with the goldfish brains around her (preach!)--it all comes together perfectly. And while I may not want to BE these ladies, I certainly can't help up like them.

                                                       *

Any witches I missed? Your own favorites? Please share! 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope you both have a long, happy marriage.

    Agnieszka from Uprooted is the first one that sprang to mind. I can't remember her name (it was 40+ years ago I read it) but "the girl with death coloured eyes" in Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant had a big impact on me as a child. I don't know if she was really a witch but she seemed to be magical and powerful back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope so too. :)

      Agnieszka sounds cool! I'll have to check her out.

      Delete